A few more samples of properties purchased by Allen Real Estate on behalf of investors during 2013.
These deals all contain three of the most requested features from our investor clients:
1) Proximity to the Brisbane CBD and major activity centres in the town plan is viewed as a positive.
2) Potential for capital growth is the highest priority but attention to a strong yield is also important.
3) A low maintenance set and forget high quality growth investment, not looking for a renovator or problem property.
The start to 2013 has been annoyingly strong if you are buyer, competing against home buyers is never fun and means you have less scope to bargain the price down or to wait a seller out. Great deals are still out there however and just take more work than we have been accustomed to over the last few years to find them!
A two year old freehold town home with it’s own street frontage
$165,000 land value
$520/wk rent = 6.0% yield
6.1k from the CBD, suburb benefiting from very significant infrastructure building nearby
Short walk to dedicated bus way
This was a two year old freehold town home with it’s own street frontage, with no body corporate fees and large depreciation benefits the cash flow on this property is superb for a newer property this close to the Brisbane CBD. We had previously missed out on the other half of this duplex build and managed to secure this half for $8,000 less than the other side. This property was well constructed with oversize bedrooms, a study nook with city views (not mentioned in any advertising) and elevated aspects from all bedrooms.
Walking distance from a bus way with an easy commute into the CBD is a definite plus, we especially like following the train lines and dedicated bus ways as a key pieces of infrastructure at Allen Real Estate. This suburb will also benefit from affordability pressures in the future as the suburbs that are closer to the CBD are priced significantly higher.
This property was purchased to satisfy a 300k budget and the need for a strong holding income. The ability to both increase the rent and build some equity after minor cosmetic upgrades means that this property is a very solid starting point for building a portfolio.
Motivated sellers allowed the price to be negotiated to a price point which makes it one of the cheaper houses in the whole estate.
Set in an elevated location this 2 bedroom 2 bath ground floor unit is typical of many properties we target for buy and hold investors, the following boxes are all ticked.
> High walk score, in particular train and shopping
> Solid structure and low maintenance, set and forget investing
> Reasonable to strong yield with potential to increase
> Smaller complex, six in this particular case
> Elevated location with a good aspect
This property was located in an excellent suburb and had the following three twists.
1) Land size was 720m2 yet only advertised as 696m2 by both listing agents.
2) Under the new town plan coming into effect in 2013 this block will make an excellent candidate for subdivision into two lots.
3) The large commercial facility at the back boundary of this property will in time relocate and the land is earmarked for residential development, these properties would come online in today’s dollars as 4 bedroom brick houses selling in the mid to high 5’s and set on significantly smaller lots = all good news for this buy and hold investor.